The iconic road trip seems to be reserved for young people, heading out with a few buddies and nary a care in the world. But first road trips can occur at any age and can last from a couple of days to an entire summer. Planning any trip requires a little care and consideration, but in the case of a first road trip, it is especially important to be thorough and leave leeway for the unexpected.
- Step 1 - Purchase roadside service insurance.
- Step 2 - Bring your car in for a once-over.
- Step 3 - Keep a small kit of safety supplies with you.
- Step 4 - Buy a paper map.
- Step 5 - Make a list of places you want to see and prepare a realistic time line.
- Step 6 - Plan overnight stays.
- Step 7 - Record a hefty playlist for your MP3 player.
- Step 8 - Keep a small cooler stocked with beverages and a couple of snacks.
- Step 9 - Allow time for the unexpected.